Typically, our representation of you will begin with an initial consultation. At this consultation, we will begin by discussing the particular circumstances of your case, and giving you our advice on how best to proceed. We will also explain our fee structure in detail, and answer any questions you may have.
In uncontested divorce cases (see below), there is no fee involved with the initial consultation. In custody, visitation, and support cases and in divorce cases where child custody, support, the division of marital assets or other issues are being disputed, our fee for the initial consultation is $200.
If you are interested in scheduling an initial consultation with Amanda Reid, please call us at 540-369-3064. If you have already received or been served with court documents, you should bring them with you to the consultation.
Flat Fees vs. Retainers
In some instances, we will undertake to represent you for a flat fee, which means that we will agree to represent you in a court case, or perform a particular service, for a set rate determined in advance. Typically, the following matters will be handled on a flat-fee basis:
- Uncontested divorce: $350.
- Protective orders, traffic cases and misdemeanor criminal charges: fee varies based upon complexity of case; usually between $500 and $1,500.
- Wills, Advance Medical Directive and Power of Attorney: $500 for individual, or $750 for married couple.
- Will only: $300 for individual, or $500 for married couple.
- Most family law matters, such as contested divorces, custody/visitation cases, and child/spousal support matters, will be handled on an hourly basis. Amanda Reid's usual hourly billing rate is $225.
When we represent you in hourly matters, we will typically require a retainer. A "retainer" is simply a deposit against which your fees are charged as we work on your case. Your retainer is held in trust, and any unused portion will be returned to you at the conclusion of our representation. The amount of the required retainer will vary depending on the particular circumstances of your case.
Because each case is unique, please contact The Law Offices of Amanda Anne Reid, PLC, to discuss your individual case, and we will be happy to explain our fees in more detail.